Just recently I witnessed neuroscience behind the Shri Satyanarayan Puja. The Shri Satyanarayan Puja is the worship of Shri Satyanarayan, which is the embodiment of eternal truth. This is one of the most common Puja or ritualistic prayer that is offered to the God by the Hindus. Ardent devotees, from time immemorial, have performed it with truly beneficial results. It has been observed that after the performance of this Puja sincerely in appropriate way with faith and devotion, devotees benefit by achieving peace, happiness and getting their problems resolved.
Performing Shri Satyanarayan Puja/Katha as directed by the Panditji is in fact a brain workout or a mental exercise. While performing this Puja, I observed a great deal of exercise of various brain functioning. It’s a kind of some interesting “cognitive neurological exercise” which I would like to share with you all.
1. While performing this Puja , first and foremost Panditji wants your attention span throughout the Puja giving a good boost to your frontal lobe.
2. He tells you to do various sequential tasks again exercising your motor programming in frontal lobe.
3. He wants you to repeat what he says, various mantras boosting your language function of dominant hemisphere in temporal lobe.
4. He warmups your verbal and remote memory function by asking your name, age and personal details and also immediate recall by repeating
what he says, thus exercising your temporal lobe.
5. And this is mind blowing...he asks you to touch three times your left feet to ground while you are sitting in crossed leg position conditioning
your right to left orientation, a function of mainly left parietal lobe.
6. He asks you to draw Swastika and such designs in Puja Thali sharpening your constructional ability, a function of right parietal lobe.
7. He asks you to imitate bathing, dressing and feeding God practicing your “Praxis”, a kind of motor planning to perform tasks or movements
when asked, provided that the request or command is understood and the individual is willing to perform the task and also have imaginative
power, a function of mainly left parietal lobe.
8. He asks you to warship various Gods by showing pictures or statues and you keep identifying them, which boosts your occipital lobe.
9. He tells you to direct flowers in God's Feet and sometimes Akshat to God's Head, thus incorporating and sharpening even your cerebellum.
10.He also invites other family members and friends to participate and interact in Puja and thus optimizing your social cognition, a function of
prefrontal and orbitofrontal cortex.
11.Finally, during Puja, he somehow only signifying and escalating your higher cortical and cerebellar functions because surprisingly after all one’s
cognition and behavior depend on that only!
Finally, after performing Shri Satyanarayan Puja one’s higher cortical and cerebellar functions become sharp and refreshed so it will help him to deal with ongoing problems in life in somewhat better and mature ways. Thus, it will help to achieve our ultimate realization, that is to achieve peace, happiness and success in life as well as harmony and unity with others in the society. The Hindus believe that we should focus not only on our own happiness but also encourage others to be happy, and that’s the ultimate fulfillment.
आरती श्री सत्यनारायणजी
जय लक्ष्मीरमणा श्री जय लक्ष्मीरमणा I
सत्यनारायण स्वामी जनपातक हरणा II