We use our shoulders everyday for different activities. We don’t think about it or even notice it. But, repeated overuse of the shoulder can give rise to many kinds of shoulder problems. Some common reasons for shoulder pain include:-
Tendon inflammation due to:-
Bursae are fluid-filled sacs that are found in the joints of the body like the shoulder. They cushion the bones and reduce friction. Overuse of the joint may lead to inflammation and swelling, causing shoulder pain.
Tendons connect the muscle to bone. There are two types of tendonitis:-
• Acute – Caused by overuse of shoulder joint
• Chronic – Caused by degenerative diseases like arthritis
Reasons for tendon tears include:-
• An acute injury
• Degeneration of tendons Because of aging, repetitive long term activities using shoulder, and wear and tear
Tears may be partial or may completely separate the tendon from its attachment to the bone.
• Occurs if the top of the shoulder blade puts pressure on the underlying soft tissues when lifting the arm
• The acromion or bony protrusion on the scapula rubs, or “impinges” on the rotator cuff tendons and bursa causing pain and inflammation
• The head of the upper arm bone is forced out of the shoulder socket due to injury
• Shoulder dislocations can be partial, with the ball of the upper arm coming just partially out of the socket.
• Complete dislocation means the ball comes all the way out of the socket
• Most common type of arthritis in the shoulder is osteoarthritis.
• Symptoms include swelling, pain, and stiffness
• May be related to sports or work injuries or chronic wear and tear
• Shoulder fractures commonly involve the clavicle (collarbone), humerus (upper arm bone), and scapula (shoulder blade)
• Fractures often cause severe pain, swelling, and bruising about the shoulder
Frozen Shoulder (Periarthritis)
• Shoulder pain and stiffness in diabetic patients or following injury
• All movements of shoulder are painful and restricted
Other, much less common causes of shoulder pain are tumors, infection, and nerve-related problems.
Treatment for shoulder pain
This will depend on the cause and severity of the shoulder pain. Treatment options include physical or occupational therapy in consultation with the orthopaedist. RICE therapy will help to bring down inflammation. A sling or shoulder immobilizer keeps the shoulder immobile. Anti-inflammatory painkillers and physiotherapy may be prescribed. Surgery may be suggested in extreme cases.
For more details visit drsaurinshah.com